Mountains and temptations

Gentle breeze oozing through the gap in the shut windows woke me up from my nap,I could feel the cool breeze caress my face.I opened the window with a jerk and let the breeze hit my face full blast.This was a different coolness – not the moisty coolness that the monsoon wind brought back home, gentle coolness of the mountains,I could see them loom far away in the dark. Some bald,some sharp edged– all huge. Reality check – elder one is trying to take control of the keyboard – he wants to watch aeroplanes land – on you tube. Back to the softness of the breeze, did they get soft and cool caressing and rubbing on the mountains? How does it work - is it the same piece of wind that travelled all the distance from the mountain to my face or was it a relay of some kind? The bus is slowing down,I can hear the driver change gears – must be a hump on the road,the breeze slows down as if on cue and I am tempted to run out of the bus and towards the mountains,how far are they,who cares ? has any one climbed the one I see right in the middle of the horizon – may be this one was missed out by the people who went chasing Mt Everest and K2 ? I will become the first one to scale the baldy –ofcourse I will not tell anyone.. My thoughts are brought back to the bus rather rudely by the rather inhospitable hump, my neighbour is disturbed by the jerk and decides to continue sleeping with his mouth open.I can hear some sounds as the bus stops for a milli second atop the hump – I hear crickets, I hear the paddy fields murmuring – ah my imagination – of course they don’t murmur that loud. I look on to the road through the windscreen and in the headlight I can see the green paddy – the paddy before “Go green” and “BT Green” – they have a luminous quality about them – the shadows seem to make the paddy look dark and almost scary. .

The bus speeds up and I am tempted again, more strongly this time to run out and head to the looming old baldy. I don’t do it – I am not a man to be easily tempted. I tempt my temptation – there will be another hump – may be I will get another chance at running towards the mountains.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Head Shakes of a “Hair dresser”

Terror and Cancer - threats to human existence

A Southern Music