Chance encounters of the third kind !!

How can one describe a chance upgrade from economy class to business class on a trip that came up by chance and end up in a seat right next to Ganagandharvan Dr. K J Yesudas ? One has to attempt nevertheless for the possibility of reading and re-reading to re-live the three hours of ecstasy. If I were Marquez, I could have used the sunlight streaming in through the windows of the plane and may be even the buzz of the jet engines to describe the experience but of course, greatness is never to be attempted, to be imitated.

White shirt, white pants and white leather shoes to match, the legend floats, wafts, glides, does not walk. There is a rhythm in his speak, he is uttering normal malayalam words to his wife Prabha (ma´am, the maestro´s wife)  but at the sight of him I have already developed a rather tenacious earworm that is doing Pramadhavanam, Samajavaragamana, Harivarasanam, Azhake Nin and Neelaravil in random, complicated order. His wife settles him down and his possessions (an old, delapidated book, a rather cool looking tablet and a small travel bag) in their respective positions around him.

I was busy with the customary self-pinching (highly recommended procedure in such situations) and with preparing my introduction attempt when I heard the divine, mellifluous voice waft in my direction. I was still rehearsing my lines at break neck speed in my brain and so managed to hear only a part of the pleasantry that was offered. I assumed the question and seemed to have rightly answered "Maavelikkkara", going by his gentle acknowledgement head shake.

What is it about great men that make them great ?
"God´s own voice" is easy to chat up with and I who normally am not speaking to people sitting next to me even on long haul flights find myself opening up. Before long we are talking about music (well, me listening mostly) and he with child like enthusiasm shows me his music book ( old , dilapidated  treasure trove) which he picked up apparently in the 60´s in Trivandrum and has all the Swati keerthanam´s with their original lyrics. Pencil marks and notes punctuate the margins and he explains to me how diction and keeping true to the lyrics is very important to him with an example. A mini kutchery ensues (this part, I am not so sure now, I may have dreamt this up). He opens up
his tablet and shows me how he has catalogued and chronicled each and every one of his performance going back to the 60s so that he never repeats the same sequence of songs in any performance !! 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration lazy bones , I tell myself !!

Lunch and some interesting anecdotes around food habits, kathakali music and contemporary politics spice up our conversation and I stay the true devotee I am, swaying away from anything even remotely controversial and muster courage to take three photographs. One selfie and two pics taken by the by now jealous cabin crew !! We all take, receive, send thousands of pics in the digital age but really is there a safe place to keep the dearest, most cherished of them close to our heart ? I print the best one out and keep it in a velvety cover in one of my Orhan Pamuk novels, nearest I can get to a treasure trove !!

The exciting and surreal experience ends with the flight landing in Dubai and the legend glides on to the terminal and then gets a ride on one of the golf buggies towards the car parks. He waves to me as he passes by and I wave back. The golf buggy driver is experiencing his five minutes of glory next to the God. Be prepared to be completely taken by surprise by the collective intelligence of the universe. It does act in mysterious, magical ways.

Hantha Bhagyam Jananam !!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Head Shakes of a “Hair dresser”

A Southern Music

Associations .. (Aw !!!!)